The final weekend of build season went uncharacteristically smoothly. With the robot fully put together we had lots of time to practice. Testing the robot is always fun and exciting! I love seeing all of our season’s hard work come to life as we see what our robot can accomplish. Over the weekend we went over to Paly for a practice match with both the Play and Gunn robotics teams. We managed to get a stack of five totes with a bin on top!!!
But as always the final weekend came with some disasters of its own. We fried four BAG motors and our one-and-only voltage regulator module. The smoke from the motors smelled so toxic! A huge thanks to MA and Gunn for lending us theirs! After dinner the night of ship we discovered something else – one of our motors on the tote aligner extended outside of the chassis by a quarter of an inch, so we were an eighth of an inch outside of transport configuration! Luckily we were able to manage a quick fix. Something always comes up in the last moments before ship. But with things running so smoothly otherwise, everyone was pretty relaxed about the minor catastrophes.
Though we didn’t quite complete all of the 27 practice matches Emily wanted to do, Claire and Emily got in a lot of practice and I’m confident that Sierra will do well in competition! In the final hour of build season we covered Sierra in spirited green bubble wrap, and I had the honor of sealing up the bag. I’m so proud of all that we have accomplished in these busy six weeks! We bagged a pretty great robot – one that is working (which has not always been a given!) and can do just about everything we planned. Check out our reveal video: Team 1700 Presents Sierra. I’m looking forward to competition!
Congratulations Team 1700! Thanks for a great season!!!