i’m extremely tired/brain dead as of right now, so i apologize if this post doesn’t make much sense…
basically, the updates/new rules that FIRST keeps giving us are extremely annoying because they always conflict with our chassis designs!
first, we wanted to shorten the chassis and have the output tube stick out a little so the moon balls would fall nicely into the trailer– but then we found a rule saying that no part of the robot can stick out of the bumper perimeter. so that idea is…dead.
then we wanted to make the front slightly v-shaped so we could be 38″ long but still get closer to the trailer– but then we found a rule saying that all corners need to be covered by bumpers, and the minimum bumper length is 6″. i think this idea may still work, even with the bumpers in the way… but we should make a rough, actual-sized prototype…
also, we’ve decided that for the input/picking-up-moon-balls-from-the-ground, we’re going to use brushes instead of conveyor belts. the brushes will be better b/c they are stiff enough to push the moon balls into the robot, but also flexible so they won’t get stuck in the holes in the moon balls.
we also realized that for the transition/lifting-moon-balls-to-the-tube, we can’t use an up-conveyor belt in the back because apparently the moon ball will just bounce off the conveyor belt instead of going up like we want it to. so we are (tentatively) planning to use 2 up-conveyor belts on the sides controlled by one motor. (and so far we’re assuming that we will still use surgical tubing).
our wonderful build minions also made a prototype of the output/tube-to-let-moon-balls-fall-into-trailer on saturday, and a human-controlled stopper to go with it.
hopefully i haven’t forgotten anything…
and hopefully it somewhat makes sense.
but we’ll cover all of this at the design review at 6 tomorrow!
see you guys there! 😀