over the weekend we went to look for last years bumpers and we only found one!? yeah. and it was the 28″ side, too. grr. wonder where the 2 long ones went? anyway, we salvaged the wood and t-nuts from bumpers from 2 years ago, but we bought new pool noodles b/c the ones from 2 years ago looked TERRIBLE. unfortunately, all the wood was 28″ long (no 38″ ones…where did they all go?!?) so we’re just going to have some places on the robot w/ noodle and no wood. i’m sure it’ll be ok. we asked emily and jimmy and both said it was fine, so it’ll be all good 😀
on monday, i’m not sure what programming did (they went to ideo) but build built 3 spanking new bumpers! YAY! we had fun with the staple gun (safety first!) and the canvas that wraps the bumpers smells really bad. but anyways…we almost made them wrong. NOTE FOR NEXT YEAR: T-NUTS GO ON INSIDE, NOT OUTSIDE!!! (aka the pool noodles go on the side with the t-nut sticking out of the wood)
allie also cut out “1700” out of foamcore today (for our stencil when we spray paint the bumpers!) but since she used an x-acto knife, it looks a bit…well…funky. ahahhaa. so tomorrow we’re hoping to lasercam it at ideo! 😀
today caroline, nandini, and i went to ideo during lunch for jimmy’s “first five minutes”. ideo has these lunch meetings every tuesday and jimmy had to present something for his first five minutes so he wanted to show the robot :D. it went well but when nandini was driving it, we realized 2 things were wrong:
1. the robot wouldnt turn/go sideways (it was driving worse than on saturday)
2. the front left wheel (NOT the front right wheel) was turning a lot more than the other wheels (and it was off the ground kind of)
these 2 problems might be related (like the robot won’t go sideways b/c one wheel isnt touching the ground) but in any case…it must be fixed! waaah.
on a happier note, allie lasercammed 1700 out of this really cool black plastic-y thing (acrylic?). it is SO COOL. so i suspect we will be spray painting our new beautiful bumpers soon.
also, nandini and tiffany were thinking of a gripper design. we were going to prototype it (lasercamming) but the computer in the lasercam room wouldnt import tiffany’s DXF designs so we couldnt lasercam the gripper parts and we were very sad. emily is going to try to figure out whats going on…
AS OF RIGHT NOW WE ARE 76 POUNDS (w/o battery, w/ tower, electronics board, all 4 wheels, chassis, etc)
so that means we still have 44 pounds left…
(it sounds pretty good but i’m not sure how much the gripper and extra motors will weigh…)
and we got our teflon-coated jackscrew FINALLY today!!! 😀
thanks to sallie’s dad for bringing dinner today! (annie really really REALLY liked that pizza)